Occupations in culinary arts are varied. Cooks, Chefs, and Restaurant Managers can look forward to jobs in bakeries, restaurants, hotels, schools, and cafés. The Culinary Entrepreneurship program brings together principals of small business management with culinary skills for students who want to own their own food-industry business.
The Student Learning Outcomes for this program are:
- Students demonstrate a mastery of food service sanitation concepts and practices.
- Students exhibit a positive work ethic, including efficiently using time.
- Students use professional cooking and baking procedures, equipment, and terminology to adequately meet industry standards.
- Students demonstrate the essential food-management skills of effective purchasing and cost control.
- Career and Technical Certificate - Baker
- Career and Technical Certificate - Cook
- Career and Technical Certificate - Food Services Manager
- Certificate of Technical Studies, Culinary Arts
- Technical Diploma, Culinary Entrepreneurship
The Career and Technical Certificates prepare students for entry-level employment in a variety of food service occupations.
The Certificate of Technical Studies includes additional specialized coursework and some general education courses to enable students to move into middle-management roles.
The Technical Diploma prepares students to run their own food-industry business.
Nunez Community College partners with the National Restaurant Association (NRA) to offer the ManageFirst™ Development Program. Many courses in the Nunez program offer content that allows students the opportunity to acquire NRA certificates. The NRA Certificate in Sanitation satisfies all of the requirements with the State of Louisiana Board of Health and increases employment opportunities.